Monday, September 6, 2010

Dear Diary

Today I wake up, nothing's different. Hate speech, war, disease, famine, hunger, death...they are all still there. What does it take to make things different? What does it take to change this world? I did all that's recommended. I took a look at myself, changed for the better. I was the object of change in my family. I became  President of my country. Fought for justice, was a voice for the weak, the minorities, the unheard citizens of my land. For 30 yrs, I didn't sleep. I fought tirelessly hard. I served. I gave. I was the leader I thought my country needed. And still, I failed.

Today as I crossed the street from the kiosk, I watched a feeble child suck on her dead mothers breast as he desperately sucked to get some nourishment from his mother's dried up bosom. I couldn't hold back the tears. That's when it all hit me. It wasn't I that had failed. It was all of us. It was us as humanity who had failed to unite and fight for the greater good. It was us, that sat in our luxurious living rooms flipping through channels on our HD screen, oblivious of the dying world around us. It was and still is, us humanity that is the cause of our grandchildren's present day suffering.

So now I ask dear Diary, what more can I do? What more can I say to get through to humanity? How much longer can I sit here feeling like a failure?

No comments:

Post a Comment